Hello, I'm British speculative fiction writer Jennifer K. Oliver. Welcome to my website!
I write both novels and short stories based in the fantasy, sci-fi, or horror genres. Currently I'm working on two young adult novels (a not-too-distant future sci-fi, and a historical fantasy), as well as many short speculative pieces. Check out the Fiction page linked above for some of my published work.
My blog is on LiveJournal here, where I post regularly about writing, editing, story submissions, story rejections, books, TV, and gaming, with a smattering of web/graphic design and everyday life thrown into the mix.
Books are wondrous things. I love action and adventure, evocative writing and fresh spins on old ideas. I'll give almost anything a try, and I keep a bookshelf at Goodreads so I don't lose track of what I've read.
My web and graphic design business can be found at J. Oliver Designs. I'm particularly interested in designing websites and promotional material / book covers for fellow authors and artistic types, so do drop me a line if you're interested.
- August 2016 - New short story, "The Machinists' Boy," is live at Youth Imagination. YA sci-fi, in 4,200 words. Read online for free.
- June 2015 - New short story, "Shuffle," is live at Kaleidotrope. Dark fantasy / horror, in 3300 words. Read online for free.
- June 2014 - Blog post written for Storyslingers: The (Vast) Difference Between a Critique and an Edit.
- May 2014 - Blog post written for Get Your Words Out: Choosing Character Names - Fun, or a Total Nightmare?.
- Feb 2014 - New blog post written for Get Your Words Out, re-posted to Storyslingers: Planning For The Writing Life.
- 2013 - Two articles at Storyslingers: Developing Characters Part I and Developing Characters Part II.
- Dec 2012 - New micro-fiction published at Nanoism: "The Clockmaker's Heart." Bittersweet and slightly steampunk.
- Dec 2012 - New micro-fiction published at 50-Word Stories: "The Thinning." Contemporary supernatural, 50 words.
- Feb 2012 - Artist Interview: Fiction Writer Jennifer K. Oliver. In which I talk about creativity, inspiration, and Paperblanks notebooks.
- Feb 2012 - My story "Death Car Alley" went live at Jersey Devil Press. Speculative, dark fantasy, in 3900 words. You can read it online for free at JDP magazine.